Orange County, CA Community Grants
Beckman Local Community Grants – Request for Proposals
Interested applicants should register for an account using the "Register" button above to create a username and password. Then return to this page and click the "Apply" button to submit your proposed project. If you are part of a team of organizations submitting a proposal, select a lead organization with contact person to register for the account. This portal is enabled to allow collaborator access. There will be an additional link at the next stage to add your partners to your proposal submission.
The Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation’s Local Community Grants support organizations with innovative STEM and STEAM activities within the Orange County, CA area.
Local Community Grants are awarded for community-based projects, activities or events that align with the Foundation’s aim of “supporting young scientists today for tomorrow’s breakthrough discoveries.” Examples of past and current local community support by the Foundation include:
- Kids at Science – STEM teacher training initiative
- Irvine Public Schools Foundation – CubeSat high school program launching satellites into space
- Orange County Science & Engineering Fair – Special awards and support to the fair
- MIND Research Institute – Development of ST Math Core curriculum
- Segerstrom Center for the Arts – Festival-style science entertainment for all ages
- Chapman University – Keck Center for Science and Technology
- Crystal Cove Conservancy – Development of K-2 field trip curriculum
- Discovery Cube, Orange County – Seed grant, special annual award
All proposals must be submitted by a U.S. nonprofit 501(c)3, or equivalent, organization serving Orange County, CA either exclusively or as a large part of the proposed effort. As a matter of policy, the Foundation does not provide grants to non-U.S. organizations or institutions. Proposals for collaborative projects are acceptable, but a lead organization that meets the criteria must be specified.
Proposals must be submitted via the Foundation’s Online Application Portal (this site) only. Applicants will be required to complete Organization Profile and Proposal questions. Applicants will receive email notification upon application receipt.
Proposals will be accepted on a rolling basis, with funding decisions made in May and October each year. Once funding for the year has been expended, remaining proposals may be held over for evaluation the following year.
Proposed projects must specify how they will address and lead to positive outcomes in at least one of the following current Foundation priorities:
- Engaging youth in hands-on science and math activities to encourage curiosity and student-driven exploration and learning
- Increasing diversity in science
- Using technology to engage youth in STEAM
- Discovering Orange County – looking closer at the science behind seismology, robotics, space, sustainability, or agriculture
- Promoting the Beckman legacy of technology innovation and leadership in Orange County
Local Community Grants projects are typically completed within a year of funding, but multi-year grants may be allowed based on the proposed work. The per project award range is usually $25,000-$100,000 per year. Projects must be located within Orange County, CA. Mid- and post-project reporting will be required.
This Online Application Portal provides all information that potential applicants need. Any additional inquiries related to this Request for Proposals may be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.